The Post and Courier reported that “The Port of Charleston was the 8th-busiest seaport in the United States last year…”
“Race Week Culminates with Moderate Winds and High Spirits
After three days of intense competition across 16 different classes of sailboats, the biggest keelboat regatta in the Americas is in the books! The past half week has been filled with exciting racing, rockin’ beachside parties and some great camaraderie. Another edition of Sperry Charleston Race Week comes to a close.
SAVE THE DATE for 2018!
April 12-15, 2018
Live5News.com reports that –
The Niña and Pinta are sailing into the Charleston Harbor.
Replicas of the vessels that Columbus sailed on during his journey to America will dock Thursday and open to the public at Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina Friday through the morning of Tuesday, May 9.
Picture and Text below source – http://1.usa.gov/r0A2rr21 Magazine Street Charleston, SC 29401 843-577-5245
‘Now occupied by the American College of the Building Arts.’
‘Tours are available by appointment.’
‘The Old Jail building served as the Charleston County Jail from its construction in 1802 until 1939. In 1680, as the city of Charleston was being laid out, a four-acre square of land was set aside at this location for public use. In time a hospital, poor house, workhouse for runaway slaves, and this jail were built on the square…Increased restrictions were placed on slaves and free blacks in Charleston as a result of the Vesey plot (explained on the Website), and law required that all black seaman be kept here while they were in port. During the Civil War, Confederate and Federal prisoners of war were incarcerated here. It is one of more than 1400 historically significant buildings within the Charleston Old and Historic District.’
Picture source – Hunley.org1250 Supply Street, Charleston, SC – 29405
The CSS Hunley or L.L. Hunley is a previously sunken Confederate submarine which was finally found in 1995 off of Sullivans Island. It was found by the National Underwater Marine Agency team of best selling author Clive Cussler.
Stories on Hunley.org –
‘Weekend Tours of the Hunley
Hunley tours are available every Saturday from 10 AM – 5 PM and Sunday Noon-5 PM. Last tour begins at 4:40 PM. Tours are not available on weekdays so scientists can continue their work preserving the Hunley for future generations. Tours are not available on Easter Sunday.
Tickets ordered in advance are $12.00 plus a service charge and can be purchased by either calling toll-free 1-877-448-6539 (1-877-4HUNLEY) or at www.etix.com (links to specific dates listed below). Children under 5 are free.
Walk-up tickets are also available on a first come, first serve basis. These tickets do not have a service charge. Tickets for Friends of the Hunley members, senior citizens, and military are discounted to $10.00. If you are eligible for this discount, please purchase your ticket at the door.
The Hunley is located at:
Warren Lasch Conservation Center
1250 Supply Street (on the old Charleston Navy Base), North Charleston, S.C.
– For questions about Hunley tours, please call the Friends of the Hunley directly at 843.743.4865 ext. 10.
– If you have questions about pre-reserved tickets, please contact Etix.com at email@example.com.
– Group tours (20+ guests) can be scheduled for weekdays with advance notice. For more information, contact Josephine Starnes at 843.743.4865 ext. 28 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cooper River Bridge is technically three bridges with separate names that served to transport Charlestonians over the years.
Its history is revealed on CooperRiverBridge.org . The three bridges are:
- The Grace Memorial Bridge – “The 2.71-mile bridge, later to be named the Grace Memorial Bridge, was built in just 17 months, at a total cost of approximately $6 million. It was opened with a three-day celebration on Aug. 8, 1929.”
- The Pearman Bridge – “In ceremonies on April 29, 1966, a new $15 million bridge over the Cooper River, parallel to the Grace Bridge, was opened to traffic, and dedicated in honor of Chief Highway Commissioner Silas N. Pearman.”
- The Ravenel Bridge (also known as the New Cooper River Bridge) – “Now the diamond towers of the Ravenel Bridge have been named the John P. Grace Tower and the Silas N. Pearman Tower to remember the men and the bridges that served Charleston.”
“Part of the Memorial Waterfront Park complex, the 1250-foot long Mount Pleasant Pier stretches out into Charleston Harbor under the foot of the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge. The pier’s foundation was created from pared-down pilings from the old Grace Memorial Bridge, and one end of the pier now features an 8,100-square-foot covered pavilion for hosting dances and other events. Visitors can enjoy beautiful views of the bridge and harbor from the pier’s bench swings and shade structures.”
Learn more about the bridges on the Wikipedia ‘Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge’ article.
There are many, many beautiful images of the bridges on Google images –
Email – email@example.com
‘America’s First Museum, founded in 1773.
Its mission is to preserve and interpret the cultural and natural history of Charleston and the South Carolina Lowcountry.
We invite you to explore this rich, varied history at the Museum and its two National Historic Landmark houses.
All are located downtown, in America’s Most Historic City.
Inspired in part by the creation of the British Museum (1759), the Museum was established in 1773 by the Charleston Library Society and is commonly regarded as America’s first museum. Its early history was characterized by association with distinguished South Carolinians and scientific figures including Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Reverend John Bachman and John J. Audubon. Many of the original collections were destroyed by fire in 1778 and operations were suspended during the American Revolution; however, collecting resumed in the 1790s.’
‘First opened to the public in 1824, the Museum developed prominent collections declared in 1852 by Harvard scientist Louis Aggasiz to be among the finest in America.
Operations were temporarily suspended due to the Civil War, but began again shortly after the conflict.
Progressively acquired from the late 18th century to the present, the Museum’s collections now present the oldest-acquired and the most comprehensive assemblage of South Carolina materials in the nation.
Modern collecting emphases include natural science, ornithology, historical material culture and both documentary and photographic resources.’
Hours of Operation
Museum – Monday-Saturday 9-5, Sunday 1-5
Historic Houses – Monday-Saturday 10-5, Sunday 1-5
Museum – $10/adults, $5/children 4-12, children 3 and under free
Historic Houses – $10 adults, $5/children 4-12, children 3 and under free
Group rates and discounted multi-site tickets available
Information and Prices subject to change
‘Like’ them on facebook – https://www.facebook.com/scaquarium
Open Daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
(Building closes at 6 p.m.)
Open Daily 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
(Building closes at 5 p.m.)
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Dec 25, and half day Dec 24 (open 9am-1pm).
Picture Source – Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_Point40 Patriots Point Road, Mt. Pleasant, SC – 29464 866-831-1720
‘Patriots Point is home to three museum ships:
‘The Yorktown has many exhibits on board, including:
– Medal of Honor museum, with biographies of all medal recipients
– 25 naval aircraft, including:
‘Exhibits ashore include:
– Civil War-era cannon
– Vietnam War-era:
PBR-105 river patrol boat
Naval Support Camp
Battery Cheves, named after after Capt. Langdon Cheves. Cheves was a confederate engineer. He was killed in 1863 at Morris Island.
The battery was listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1863.
The battery is located in a residential neighborhood, Fort Johnson Estates.
This is a great artist’s rendering of the Battery Cheves from the S.C. Battleground Trust and The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia.
The source for the following images –
“Battery Cheves was built in 1863 and named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, Confederate engineer killed at Morris Island in 1863.
This battery was designed to protect the area between Fort Johnson and Battery Haskell from amphibious attack coming from Morris Island.
Cheves mounted two pieces of heavy artillery at the time of capture. Battery Cheves is located on the southeastern shore of James Island in a suburban residential area.
A simple open battery with four gun emplacements, Battery Cheves is about 280 feel long with a parapet 12.5 feet high and a powder magazine about 15 feet high.
The total position is approximately 240 feet deep. It is currently completely obscured by a dense growth of vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.“
To learn more about Battery Cheves visit the following: