Battery Cheves, named after after Capt. Langdon Cheves. Cheves was a confederate engineer. He was killed in 1863 at Morris Island.
The battery was listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1863.
The battery is located in a residential neighborhood, Fort Johnson Estates.
This is a great artist’s rendering of the Battery Cheves from the S.C. Battleground Trust and The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia.
The source for the following images –
“Battery Cheves was built in 1863 and named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, Confederate engineer killed at Morris Island in 1863.
This battery was designed to protect the area between Fort Johnson and Battery Haskell from amphibious attack coming from Morris Island.
Cheves mounted two pieces of heavy artillery at the time of capture. Battery Cheves is located on the southeastern shore of James Island in a suburban residential area.
A simple open battery with four gun emplacements, Battery Cheves is about 280 feel long with a parapet 12.5 feet high and a powder magazine about 15 feet high.
The total position is approximately 240 feet deep. It is currently completely obscured by a dense growth of vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.”
To learn more about Battery Cheves visit the following: