Great video from ‘Sights of Charleston’ & ‘Block One Studios’
Source – Charleston Place Hotel Facebook205 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401
‘One of the grandest properties in the Orient-Express Hotels collection, Charleston Place is consistently ranked among the best hotels by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel and Leisure magazines.
Charleston Place evokes the feeling of a grand, 17th century residence, from lush personal suites to the Italian marble lobby with signature Georgian Open Arm staircase and 12-foot crystal chandelier.
The staff of Charleston Place is dedicated to indulging its guests with the finest in Southern hospitality, and has become the choice of celebrities, princes and politicians.
Charleston Place is centrally located, surrounded by historic homes and buildings, and within strolling distance of the citys delightful shops, galleries and restaurants.’
A National Historic Landmark
Picture Source – National Park Service122 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC 29401 843-722-2165 oldexchange.org/
‘The Exchange and Provost, a National Historic Landmark, was a pivotal building in colonial Charleston, where many significant events of the American Revolution and early Federal period occurred.
As Charleston became the South’s largest port, the Exchange and Custom House was built from 1767 to 1771 for the expanding shipping industry, but also served as a public market and meeting place.
After a protest meeting against the Tea Act, confiscated tea was stored here in 1774.
The Provincial Congress of South Carolina met here the following year.
During the Revolutionary War, the British used the building for barracks and the basement as a military prison.
The State Legislature met here in 1788, after the Statehousewas destroyed.
When George Washington visited Charleston on his southern tour of 1791, a grand ball was held for him on the second floor.’
Source – National Park Service
To learn more about the architectural style of the builiding, how it originally fronted the harbor, its original purpose, damage to the building due to the Civil War and the 1886 earthquake AND the builiding’s relationship to the DAR see the National Park Service Website OR Wikipedia.
Photo and text source – http://bit.ly/33Llua5200 Savannah Highway, Ravenel, SC 29470 Contact
(843) 889-8898 or
Mon and Tue: Closed
$1 or 1 Greenbax per person
Free: 2 years and under
Free: Gold Pass members
‘Journey from the past to the present and heritage to habitat at the Ravenel Caw Caw Interpretive Center. Rich in natural, cultural and historical resources, Caw Caw was once part of several rice plantations and home to enslaved Africans who applied their technology and skills in agriculture to carve the series of rice fields out of cypress swamps.
To help preserve and protect our natural resources and interpretive trails, dogs and bicycles are not permitted.’
– Over 6 miles of trails with trailside exhibits
– Elevated boardwalks through wetlands (1,435 ft.)
– Environmental and social studies education programs from pre-school through college level
– Interpretive exhibits, displays, and programs
– Former 18th and 19th century rice fields and on one of the most important sites of the Stono Rebellion
– Thousands of naturalized tea plants from a 20th century tea farm
– Areas managed for wildlife including waterfowl, songbirds, otters, deer, and more
– Favored habitats for rare wildlife: American Alligators, Swallow-tailed Kites, Bald Eagles, and others
Environmental Educator or Interpreter-led educational group rates are available with reservations Monday through Sunday or self-led educational group rates available with reservations Wednesday through Sunday. For more information, call (843) 889-8898.
Picture Source – SouthCarolinaParks.com8377 State Cabin Road, Edisto Island, SC 29438
The southern end of Edisto Island is in Colleton County while Edisto Beach is in Charleston County.
‘An oceanfront campground on a palmetto-lined beach famed for its shelling is just one highlight of Edisto Beach State Park.
Only an hour from Charleston, the park also offers another campground deep in the maritime forest full of live oaks and some of the states tallest palmetto trees, as well as a row of comfortable cabins nestled in the woods but with a front-row view of miles of pristine marshland.
Edisto Beach State Park also offers the states longest system of handicapped-friendly hiking and biking trails, including one leading to a mysterious, 4,000-year-old shell midden alongside a secluded bend on a tidal creek.
The park also has an environmental education center, a green building full of exhibits that highlight the natural history of Edisto Island and the surrounding ACE Basin, one of the nations largest preserved estuaries.’
Source – SouthCarolinaParks.com
Playground, walking paths, picnic tables, athletic fields, tennis courts.
Dogs are allowed.
Intersection of Ashley Avenue and Broad Street Charleston, S.C. Picture and text below source – http://bit.ly/tkQSvT‘ The lake and its park were part of the Commons established by an Act of the Commons House of Assembly in 1768, setting aside the area forever for public use. The tradition that the lake was developed as a small boat harbor for planters apparently has no foundation in fact.
Most likely, it served as mill pond for a succession of sawmills which operated in the vicinity.
For many years the lake was known as the Rutledge Street Pond.
It acquired the name, Colonial Lake, in 1881, in honor of the “Colonial Commons” established in 1768. Some residents still call it “The Pond.”
The park around the lake was developed in 1882-87.
Fountains were placed in the lake in 1973, not for decorative purposes, but to aerate the water and prevent fish kills on hot summer days.
Gala Week used to be held in the fall of the year, with a fireworks display on the west side of the Pond, which was then an undeveloped area.
Spectators filled to park and crowded onto boats in the lake.’
Picture and Text Source – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Island
“Morris Island is an 840 acre (3.4 km²) uninhabited island in Charleston Harbor in South Carolina, accessible only by boat. The island lies in the outer reaches of the harbor and was thus a strategic location in the American Civil War.
Morris Island was heavily fortified to defend Charleston harbor…It was the scene of heavy fighting during the Union Army‘s campaign to captureCharleston, and is perhaps best known today as the scene of the ill-fated assault by the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, an African-American regiment. The regiment and this assault, where it suffered over 50% casualties, was immortalized in the film Glory.”
After the Confederates abandoned Morris Island in 1863, the Union occupied it and transferred 520 Confederate officers from Fort Delaware to Morris Island… They were used as Human Shields…” Be sure to read on! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Island and the article on the Morris Island Light
Picture Source – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Island_Light