Caw Caw Nature & History Interpretive Center

Caw Caw Nature & History Interpretive Center

Photo and text source – http://bit.ly/33Llua

5200 Savannah Highway, 
Ravenel, SC 29470
 
Contact

(843) 889-8898 or

(843) 795-4386

Email

Hours

Wed-Sun: 9:00am-5:00pm

Mon and Tue: Closed

Admission

$1 or 1 Greenbax per person

Free: 2 years and under

Free: Gold Pass members

‘Journey from the past to the present and heritage to habitat at the Ravenel Caw Caw Interpretive Center. Rich in natural, cultural and historical resources, Caw Caw was once part of several rice plantations and home to enslaved Africans who applied their technology and skills in agriculture to carve the series of rice fields out of cypress swamps.

To help preserve and protect our natural resources and interpretive trails, dogs and bicycles are not permitted.’

Features

– Over 6 miles of trails with trailside exhibits

– Elevated boardwalks through wetlands (1,435 ft.)

– Environmental and social studies education programs from pre-school through college level

– Interpretive exhibits, displays, and programs

– Former 18th and 19th century rice fields and on one of the most important sites of the Stono Rebellion

– Thousands of naturalized tea plants from a 20th century tea farm

– Areas managed for wildlife including waterfowl, songbirds, otters, deer, and more

– Favored habitats for rare wildlife: American Alligators, Swallow-tailed Kites, Bald Eagles, and others

Group Rates

Environmental Educator or Interpreter-led educational group rates are available with reservations Monday through Sunday or self-led educational group rates available with reservations Wednesday through Sunday. For more information, call (843) 889-8898.

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

Old Slave MarOld Slave Mart Museum – Charleston, S.C.

Old Slave Mart Museum - Charleston, S.C.

Picture and Text Below Source – http://1.usa.gov/bYIbTy

6 Chalmers Street,
Charleston,
SC – 29401

843-958-6467

‘The Old Slave Mart, located on one of Charleston’s few remaining cobblestone streets, is the only known extant building used as a slave auction gallery in South Carolina. Once part of a complex of buildings, the Slave Mart building is the only structure to remain.

When it was first constructed in 1859, the open ended building was referred to as a shed, and used the walls of the German Fire Hall to its west to support the roof timbers.

Slave auctions were held inside.

The interior was one large room with a 20-foot ceiling, while the front facade was more impressive with its high arch, octagonal pillars and a large iron gate.

During the antebellum period, Charleston served as a center of commercial activity for the South’s plantation economy, which depended heavily upon slaves as a source of labor. Customarily in Charleston, slaves were sold on the north side of theExchange Building (then the Custom House)…

Around 1878, the Slave Mart was renovated into a two-story tenement dwelling. In 1938, the property was purchased by Miriam B. Wilson, who turned the site into a museum of African American history, arts and crafts.’

It is owned by the City of Charleston.

Hours – Monday-Saturday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Call 843-958-6467 for information.

Admission fees are charged.

1.usa.gov/bYIbTy

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

Old City Market Hall and Sheds – Historic Charleston, S.C.

Old City Market Hall and Sheds - Historic Charleston, S.C.

Picture Source – National Park Service

Corner of Market St. and Meeting St.,
Charleston,
SC – 29401
 
843-853-8000
www.thecharlestoncitymarket.com

‘Steeped in history and charm, the Charleston City Market is a popular destination for all who visit the Holy City.

Open 365 days per year, the Market is an exciting place for tourists and local Charleston residents alike.

Market Hall stands facing Meeting Street as the main entrance to four blocks of open-air buildings.

Strolling through the Market you will encounter a wide assortment of vendors selling high quality products including paintings, pottery, Charleston’s famous sweetgrass baskets, casual and fine dining & more!’

PDF Map of Historic Charleston Market

Visitor Info

Source – http://bit.ly/9Eunay

 

Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and sometimes later on weekend evenings.

 

Vendor contact information and more can be found on the City of Charleston Website
Source of text below – National Park Service

 

History of the Market –

‘The Market Hall and Sheds, a National Historic Landmark, are the only surviving market buildings in Charleston, and one of a small number of market complexes still extant in the United States.

The Market is also considered to be one of Charlestons best examples of Greek Revival style architecture, exemplified by its massive portico supported by Tuscan columns.

The buildings were constructed in 1840 to 41 and were designed by prominent local architect Edward Brickell White.

The Market was the commercial hub of Charleston for many years and is an important part of the city’s commercial heritage.’

 

Source – National Park Service

 

For more about the history of the market and the current occupancy visit the National Park Service Website ORWikipedia.

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

Fort Sumter – Charleston, S.C.

Fort Sumter is a federal fort in Charleston Harbor with a museum that tells the story of the fort’s role in the Civil War.

Ft. Sumter

‘Where The American Civil War Began

Decades of growing strife between North and South erupted in civil war on April 12, 1861, when Confederate artillery opened fire on this Federal fort in Charleston Harbor. Fort Sumter surrendered 34 hours later. Union forces would try for nearly four years to take it back.’

Source – Fort Sumter National Monument – U.S. Natonal Park Service Website

Fort Sumter - Charleston, S.C.

Picture Source – U.S. Natonal Park Service Website

The fort is constructed of over 70,000 tons and granite and rock.

There are three sites within the Fort Sumter National Monument – Charleston: the original Fort Sumter, Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center and Fort Moultrie on Sullivan’s Island.

To visit Fort Sumter by RV or bus, we recommend taking the 30 minute ferry from the visitor center or Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum. ‘Their parking area can easily accommodate large vehicles. Parking for large vehicles in downtown Charleston is extremely limited, and the public parking garage has a clearance of 7’.

To visit Fort Moultrie by RV or bus, the parking area at the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center can accommodate your vehicle.’

‘You cannot get to Fort Sumter from Sullivan’s Island and Fort Moultrie.

Sullivans Island is the mailing address of the park and the location of Fort Moultrie and Park Headquarters.

Fort Sumter is located on an island in Charleston harbor and is only accessible by boat.

If you do not have access to a private boat, a concession-operated ferry is available.

The primary departure site is from the Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center located in downtown Charleston.

For departure schedules and fees, visit the concessioner page.

(SpiritLine Cruises is the concessioner – Their address is 360 Concord Street, Suite 201. – See Fort Sumter Tours – SpiritLine Cruises on CharlestonShines.com for more info)

The secondary departure site is located at Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant. Visitors with large vehicles such as buses and RVs should plan on using the Patriots Point departure site.

Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center
340 Concord Street
Charleston, South Carolina
843-722-2628

www.nps.gov/fosu/index.htm

Source – U.S. Natonal Park Service Website

Fort Sumter Tours

Picture Source – U.S. Natonal Park Service Website

Fort Sumter Area Map

Fort Sumpter Area Map

Picture Source – U.S. Natonal Park Service Website

CSS Hunley – Submarine – Warren Lasch Conservatory Center – Charleston, S.C

CSS Hunley - Submarine - Warren Lasch Conservatory Center - Charleston, S.C.

Picture source – Hunley.org

1250 Supply Street,
Charleston,
SC – 29405

843-743-4865

www.hunley.org

The CSS Hunley or L.L. Hunley is a previously sunken Confederate submarine which was finally found in 1995 off of Sullivans Island. It was found by the National Underwater Marine Agency team of best selling author Clive Cussler.

Stories on Hunley.org –

– The Historic Mission (and Sinking) 

– Finding the Hundley 

Wikipedia.com article on the L.L. Hunley 

‘Weekend Tours of the Hunley

Hunley tours are available every Saturday from 10 AM – 5 PM and Sunday Noon-5 PM. Last tour begins at 4:40 PM. Tours are not available on weekdays so scientists can continue their work preserving the Hunley for future generations. Tours are not available on Easter Sunday.

Tickets ordered in advance are $12.00 plus a service charge and can be purchased by either calling toll-free 1-877-448-6539 (1-877-4HUNLEY) or at www.etix.com (links to specific dates listed below). Children under 5 are free.

Walk-up tickets are also available on a first come, first serve basis. These tickets do not have a service charge. Tickets for Friends of the Hunley members, senior citizens, and military are discounted to $10.00. If you are eligible for this discount, please purchase your ticket at the door.

The Hunley is located at:

Warren Lasch Conservation Center

1250 Supply Street (on the old Charleston Navy Base), North Charleston, S.C.

Tour Inquiries

– For questions about Hunley tours, please call the Friends of the Hunley directly at 843.743.4865 ext. 10.

– If you have questions about pre-reserved tickets, please contact Etix.com at support@etix.com.

– Group tours (20+ guests) can be scheduled for weekdays with advance notice. For more information, contact Josephine Starnes at 843.743.4865 ext. 28 or email herjstarnes@hunley.org

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

South Carolina Aquarium – Charleston, S.C.

 
100 Aquarium Wharf
Charleston,
SC – 29401
843-720-1990
www.scaquarium.org

‘Like’ them on facebook – https://www.facebook.com/scaquarium

March-August 

Open Daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

(Building closes at 6 p.m.)

September-February 

Open Daily 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

(Building closes at 5 p.m.)

Closed Thanksgiving Day, Dec 25, and half day Dec 24 (open 9am-1pm).

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum – Mt. Pleasant, S.C.

Picture Source – Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_Point

40 Patriots Point Road,
Mt. Pleasant,
SC – 29464
866-831-1720

www.patriotspoint.org/

‘Patriots Point is home to three museum ships:

– USS Yorktown, an aircraft carrier

– USS Laffey, a destroyer (closed as of August 2009; to be brought back December 2011)

– USS Clamagore, a submarine

 

‘The Yorktown has many exhibits on board, including:

– Medal of Honor museum, with biographies of all medal recipients

– 25 naval aircraft, including:

A-4 Skyhawk

A-6 Intruder

A-7 Corsair

F-4 Phantom

F-9 Cougar

F-14 Tomcat

 

‘Exhibits ashore include:

– Civil War-era cannon

– Vietnam War-era:

US Navy Bell UH-1 helicopter

USMC Bell AH-1 Sea Cobra helicopter

PBR-105 river patrol boat

Naval Support Camp

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions

Blackbeard’s Cove Family Fun Park, Mount Pleasant, S.C.

Blackbeards Cove Attractions

Blackbeard’s Cove Family Fun Park 
3255 Highway 17 North
Mount Pleasant, SC 29466
Phone: 843-971-1223
Fax: 843-216-8863

HOURS OF OPERATION:

Sunday – Thursday:

10:00a.m. – 10:00p.m.

Friday – Saturday: 

10:00a.m. – MIDNIGHT

*Paintball: Reservations Accepted but Not Required

Kitchen Hours

Sunday – Thursday: 

10:00a.m. – 10:00p.m.

Friday – Saturday: 

10:00a.m. – MIDNIGHT

No refund due to inclement weather

PHONE:   843-971-1223

For information about Birthday Parties, Camps and
Group Sales:
Please contact: Julie Carr at 843.971.1223 or

For information about Marketing:
Please contact : Little Dog Agency
Featuring

  • Paintball
  • go-karts
  • jump land
  • 2 miniature golf courses
  • 70+ arcade games
  • gemstone mining
  • climbing wall
  • indoor playground
Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Google MapsGet Directions