A National Historic Landmark
Picture Source – National Park Service122 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC 29401 843-722-2165 oldexchange.org/
‘The Exchange and Provost, a National Historic Landmark, was a pivotal building in colonial Charleston, where many significant events of the American Revolution and early Federal period occurred.
As Charleston became the South’s largest port, the Exchange and Custom House was built from 1767 to 1771 for the expanding shipping industry, but also served as a public market and meeting place.
After a protest meeting against the Tea Act, confiscated tea was stored here in 1774.
The Provincial Congress of South Carolina met here the following year.
During the Revolutionary War, the British used the building for barracks and the basement as a military prison.
The State Legislature met here in 1788, after the Statehousewas destroyed.
When George Washington visited Charleston on his southern tour of 1791, a grand ball was held for him on the second floor.’
Source – National Park Service
To learn more about the architectural style of the builiding, how it originally fronted the harbor, its original purpose, damage to the building due to the Civil War and the 1886 earthquake AND the builiding’s relationship to the DAR see the National Park Service Website OR Wikipedia.